By ALFREDO ALVARADO
DC 37 activists were out in force on Primary Day, September 13, going door-to-door to get out the vote for the union’s endorsed candidates. In the weeks preceding the primary, they also made thousands of telephone calls from union phone banks.
“We have to support those candidates who support our issues,” said union volunteer Luis Romero, a member of Local 1597, who went knocking on doors in Brooklyn.
Retiree and Local 371 member Aurea Mangual was assigned to Co-op City in the Bronx. “We had a nice turnout of volunteers,” said the veteran activist.
“So much is at stake now for working families and public service workers on the national, state, city and local levels,” said Political Action Director Jeremy John. “It is crucial that we continue to build an army of activists to engage our members in the political process and help shape the future of our communities.”
Among the key races in which DC 37 volunteers and activists helped make the difference:
- DC 37 was the first union to support Yuh-Line Niou, who made history by becoming the first Asian-American to represent Chinatown, in the 65th Assembly District.
- State Senator Gustavo Rivera won 63% of the vote in the 33rd District, which includes the West Bronx and Fordham Heights.
- Assemblymember Victor Pichardo won 67% of the vote in the 86th District, which includes University and Morris Heights. Pamela Harris won her election with 64% to represent District 46, which includes Coney Island and Bay Ridge.
- State Senator Jamaal Bailey of the 36th Senate District, which includes Mount Vernon and the North West Bronx, won his election by 55%.
- Bronx native Rafael Salamanca won the race for the City Council’s 17th CD in the South Bronx.
- State Senator Roxanne Persaud received 76% of the vote in the 19th District, which includes East New York, Canarsie and Brownsville.
- State Senator Martin Malavé Dilan was re-elected with 55% of the vote in the 18th District. The district covers parts of Williamsburg, Bushwick, Greenpoint, Bed-Stuy, Cypress Hills, City-Line, East New York and Brownsville.
- State Assembly member Latrice Walker won her election in the 55th District with 74% of the vote. The district includes parts of Brownsville.
- State Assembly member Pamela Harris was re-elected in the 46th District, which includes Coney Island and Bay Ridge, with 64%.
- DC 37 was the first union to support Clyde Vanel for Assembly in the 33rd District in Queens. He faced four opponents and won his election with 32.5 % of the vote.
- James Sanders won his State Senate election in the 10th District, which includes South Jamaica and Rochdale Village, with 57.9 % of the vote.
- State Senator Toby Ann Stavisky was re-elected in the 16th District, which includes Rego Park and Flushing with 57.6% of the vote.