Cuomo Offers No Cost Child Care Scholarships for Essential Workers During COVID-19


Governor Cuomo announced that a portion of federal Coronavirus Aid will be used to provide child care scholarships to income eligible essential workers at no cost. 

The Federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, the CARES Act, provided New York with $163.6 million in emergency relief to the child care system. 

Essential workers using a regulated child care provider can apply for a scholarship for the cost of child care as long as the funds are available. You must provide a letter from your employer stating you are essential and cannot work from home. Register here. 

For a CARES Act scholarship application, click here.

All licensed and regulated providers who are caring for children of essential workers are able to participate. The aid will help child care providers purchase supplies and required PPE needed for a safe and caring environment for children. 

DC 37 represents 25,000 child care providers in centers throughout the five boroughs.

“Thousands of our members are essential workers at the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, New York City. They are continuing to work and sacrifice. We welcome this much-needed funding through the CARES Act from the Cuomo Administration,” said DC 37 Executive Director Henry Garrido. 

“It will bring some relief from the financial obligation and stress experienced by many essential workers who need safe, quality child during this pandemic.”

Access to affordable and safe child care is a barrier for working parents during the best of times, and even more so during this global crisis. 

Garrido said, “The plan will ensure that the workforce protecting the public during this COVID-19 pandemic has the child care that allows them to continue to serve us all.”

If you meet the definition of an essential employee and have child care needs, please register here. 

You will be contacted within one business day to provide information about your household and help you identify a participating child care provider or work with your current registered or licensed child care provider.

To learn more click here.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: